Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

The Club was established in 1899

 

It is the oldest Country Club in West Australia and the third oldest Club in the State

 

The Club moved to it's current location in 1961

 

Major extensions completed in 1998

 

WA Country Club of the Year in both 1998/99 and 1999/2000

 

Floodlights and Synthetic greens  constructed progressively over the past 12 years

MAJOR EVENTS  

Annual Major Events open for entry from any Club or Individual. Please refer to the events page for a detailed calendar.

September

Opening Day Saturday 15 th October 2018

Camerons Caravans Open Mixed Triples - Wednesday 19th October 2018

Patrons Day 

Ladies All Sorts Pairs

AFL Grand Final lunch

October

Men's $Shot Classic Triples 

November

Corporate Bowls commence

Melbourne Cup Lunch

Traders Day open Men's Pairs

January

Wog's day Open Mixed Pairs

Albany Men's Classic Pairs

April

Albany Autumn Carnival Fours

Bill Kingston Mixed Fours

Ladies Invitation Triples

May

Monster raffle

Rainbow Coast Insurance Mixed Triples

Australia vs Rest of the World

Closing Day

What's next?

 

The surface on "B" Green is now around 13 years old, it's replacement has been programmed for the next 1-3 years 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Albany Bowling Club was founded in 1897 and officially opened in 1899, it is the oldest club in country Western Australia and the third oldest club in the state, after Perth (1892) and Fremantle (1896). 

The club was originally situated in a corner of the Parade Street reserve, now known as Foundation Park, which was then the town’s main sports ground. 

Interestingly, 2 wooden bowls were recently handed in to the Club which have inlaid silver plates, the inscription on the plates reads “Albany Bowling Club 1856”. This would tend to indicate that Bowls was played in Albany long before the Club was formally established. 

The first building erected for members was an open shed about 20 feet long by 8 feet wide, it was constructed with upright wooden slats and a corrugated iron roof. This structure accommodated about 30 members and their families, it would appear from early photos showing children bowling and sitting on the banks that bowling was very much a family game.

 

 Early Executive CommitteeEarly Executive Committee

 Extract from Albany Advertiser 2014Extract from Albany Advertiser 2014

Inauguration dayInauguration day

Various improvements were made to the original structure over the years until eventually in 1961 the committee decided that the premises and facilities were too small to cope with an increasing membership. 

This situation resulted in the club moving to land it owned on Albany Highway. A self supporting loan was raised from the Albany Town Council to build the Club Rooms and greens in consideration for the Club handing it's freehold for the land to the Town of Albany. A plaque set in stone was erected at the original site to commemorate Albany’s first bowling greens.

The Club continued to grow and in 1998 major extensions were undertaken to improve the social area, locker room and ablutions, the Club was voted as the "Best Country Club in Western Australia" in both 1998/99 and 1999/2000.

The Club celebrated it's 100th anniversary in 1999  with numerous social and bowling events Including the first $5000 open event outside of the Metropolitan area.

 

 

The Centenary Executive CommitteeThe Centenary Executive Committee